Thread: Stne 4.0

Threaded View

Stne 4.0

Motivation

As we noticed in the last couple of weeks, Arakis has started a push to revive the old STNE, probably due to complaints of older players that STNE has changed for the worse. If you've paid close attention, you might have noticed that I'm quite critical of the concept.

I don't think that the way forward is to restore 10 year old code. However, I've also noticed a lack of a vision for the future of STNE should look like. This thread is supposed to be one such vision.

Over the course of the years, I've come up with several ideas which would be a benefit to my play style. While I'm aware that many, if not most STNE players are here for the space battles, that's not really part of my vision, so if you're here to read about yet another update to the combat system, I have to disappoint you.

The STNE of my vision deals more about the things Star Trek is known for - exploration, good relations with other species (when possible), and stories. As an RP player, I think that these aspects of STNE got the short end of the stick for most of its existence.

I'm aware that this thread will most likely disappear in the depths of the forum with maybe 2 replies and 40 views, and in fact, I should probably start by suggesting an overall better communication system between Arakis, the Admins, NPCs and players, but hey, if I didn't suggest it here the ideas would vanish in the depths of my brain, so whatever.

Also, I know that adding all of the ideas to the game would be too much to ask for small team of (voluntary!) admins - I rather hope to contribute to the establishment of a roadmap for the future development of STNE. However, since some of the suggestions are more story than programming driven, one could actually levy the collective ingenuity to write, for example, some event chains for the anomalies below which the admins can integrate into the game with relatively little effort.

Since there's apparently no spoiler function in this forum, I'll split the suggestions into several posts in this thread for (an attempt in) improving your reading comfort. The full text became kinda lengthy.

NUMBERS ARE NOT FINAL! DIE DEUTSCHE ÜBERSETZUNG SCHREIBE ICH, WENN ICH ZEIT UND LUST DAZU HABE!
    Last edited by Caligonisches Kollektiv; 25-05-2019 at 17:46.
    We are NOT the Borg.